Job title: Head Sommelier
Job type: Full-time (48 hours per week)
Come and join a dynamic team of professionals for the opening of our new dining room at Gravetye Manor.
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to join the beverage team at Gravetye Manor, a Relais & Châteaux property and Michelin starred restaurant situated in the heart of Sussex. We are looking for a talented Head Sommelier to take over from Alexis who is leaving us. After building a stunning new dining room, the hotel re-opened in May 2018. Alexis has created a wide wine list composed of biodynamic, organic and artisan wines. We offer around 420 different wines, all stocked in our safe cellar. We also offer a large range of wines by the glass to cater for every palate.
The Head Sommelier is responsible for the service of wines in the restaurant as well as in the bar and lounges.
There is a Sommelier team of four in total: Head Sommelier, 2 Senior Sommeliers and 1 Commis Sommelier.
We are looking for a great personality with a high knowledge of wine, spirits and cocktails, but above all someone with exceptional customer service skills.
We run a very professional hotel and have won many awards! The wine list has a big potential to be one of the best in the UK, and to be rewarded as such.
You will report to the Restaurant Manager and be part of the restaurant, sommelier and bar team of 25 passionate co-workers.
The hotel is busy throughout the year and in summer spills out on to our beautiful gardens.
Required skills / Experience:
We are currently looking for a charismatic, charming and passionate individual to join and lead the Sommelier team at Gravetye Manor.
This is very much a front of house position so a need to be excited to interact with guests as well as bringing natural management skills to motivate and develop a high performing team is essential. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone to join a successful team and take the next step in their hospitality career.
The following criteria are preferred:
- Experience as a Senior Sommelier/Assistant Head Sommelier/Head Sommelier in a busy restaurant/hotel environment.
- Knowledge of wines, spirits and cocktails is essential for this role.
- Being able to lead, train and develop the sommelier team to deliver the SOP’s.
- Being able to keep stock records, order from suppliers and build trustful relationships.
- Being able to take ownership of a busy dining room and serve the guests with the standards expected from a Michelin Star restaurant.
- 28 holiday days inclusive of bank holidays and a day off on your birthday after one year
- Quarterly paid service charge
- Staff discounts available within Relais & Châteaux and Pride of Britain
- Staff discounts at Gravetye Manor and family rates
- Anniversary gifts from your first anniversary
- Employee of the quarter and employee of the year awards
- Meals provided on duty
- Auto enrolled into company pension scheme
- Yearly Christmas staff party
Your job title and the tasks outlined above do not limit or define the work for which you are employed and the Company may require you from time to time to do other work within your capability. We may also ask you to work for short periods in other departments, if this is the case, then training will be provided where necessary to enable you to undertake the tasks expected of you.
To be considered for the role of Head Sommelier at Gravetye Manor, please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com or use our online application form.
Thank you for considering Gravetye Manor as your next career step and we very much look forward to welcoming you in our team.
or call direct on +44 1342 810 567