RestaurantFull-time (48 hours per week)
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to join the beverage team at Gravetye Manor, a Relais & Châteaux property and Michelin starred restaurant situated in the heart of Sussex.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who can show passion and a keen interest to learn in a luxurious and high pressure environment. The chosen candidate should be focussed, guest centric and ready to start a new chapter in his or her hospitality career.
The wine at Gravetye is focussed on organic, biodynamic and artisan estates. The wine list is currently composed of 400 different wines, 65% French and 35% from all over the world.
The Commis Sommelier will have the responsibility to serve the wines by the glass/by the bottle to our guests, in our dining room, and will be working under the supervision of the Senior Sommelier team.
- To be on duty on time and always be presented in a clean and smart manner, ensuring uniform is smartly dressed and shoes are polished.
- To maintain the standards of Gravetye in keeping with the four red star status set by the AA and Relais & Châteaux and one Michelin star.
- To create memorable experiences for our guests ensuring that service is prompt and professional
- To be able to follow a specification sheet and serve outstanding wines to the highest standards.
- To demonstrate the ability to work in the dining room in a clean and efficient manner whilst also being able to run a floor service with the assistance of the Senior Sommelier team.
- To be aware of how each dish is prepared and the ingredients used, developing your knowledge as the menu changes.
- To keep all the equipment cleaned, polished and in great conditions: Glassware, Shelves, Decanters, Stations…
- To organise the cellar under the supervision of the Senior Sommelier team and put the bottles delivered in the correct racks/fridges, in the correct order.
- To adhere to strict precautions to safeguard hotel and guests property and to inform your manager immediately of any discrepancies, breakages and losses.
- To attend and participate in any training and personal development schemes as recommended by your manager.
- To liaise with other departments ensuring good communication and co-operation at all times.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by the Senior Sommelier team.
- To comply with all the company’s Health and Safety requirements.
- To have a full knowledge of and be able to act upon the Fire procedures as laid down in the Hotel Fire Procedure in compliance with the Fire Precautions Act 1971, and to attend Fire Training as requested.
Required skills / Experience:
- To be committed to being part of a driven team that is aiming to achieve quality and high standards throughout the hotel.
- To be passionate, keen to share your knowledge and learn new skills.
- To show initiative and demonstrate a strong interest in the latest trends of the industry
- To be able to communicate with guests, colleagues and managers in English.
- To demonstrate an excellent attention to detail and ability to work under pressure.
- 28 holiday days inclusive of bank holidays and a day off on your birthday after one year
- Quarterly paid service charge
- Staff discounts available within Relais & Châteaux and Pride of Britain
- Staff discounts at Gravetye Manor and family rates
- Anniversary gifts from your first anniversary
- Employee of the quarter and employee of the year awards
- Meals provided on duty
- Auto enrolled into company pension scheme
- Yearly Christmas staff party
Your job title and the tasks outlined above do not limit or define the work for which you are employed and the Company may require you from time to time to do other work within your capability. We may also ask you to work for short periods in other departments, if this is the case, then training will be provided where necessary to enable you to undertake the tasks expected of you.
To be considered for the role of Commis Sommelier at Gravetye Manor, please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or use our online application form.
Thank you for considering Gravetye Manor as your next career step and we very much look forward to welcoming you in our team.